March has a habit of sneaking up on me.
Given that my birthday is in March, I should see it coming a mile – or a month – away. But February always seems to come up a week short, bringing March into what really ought to be the last week of the second month.
I’d forget my birthday, if my husband didn’t always ask, “What do you want for your birthday?”
“An extra week in February?” I venture. “A reprieve? Peace on earth? Goodwill towards men?”
The answer is always the same. “No, really, is there anything special you want?”
This year, I was ready for that one. I aced the test. The thing is to be decisive and direct. “Yes, actually…there is.” To remind myself I’m worth a bit of a splurge, even as I rationalize the ways I might, eventually, make it pay for itself. “I’d like a real camera.”
A Nikon D3300. Bless him, he didn’t even make me wait until tomorrow. I got to spend most of the weekend playing. I cannot wait till the sun comes back…
The Flowering Pear Twins – resurrected from the sawdust of a ground out stump after Hurricane Rita ripped the single tree at the trunk and flung it at the neighbor’s fence – are happy to model for me while I practice using it.
I love birthdays. I love dragging them out into month-long celebrations. Our daughter will be here next weekend, and we’ll celebrate again. There’s a twinge of sadness that our son – with whom I practically share a birthday – is off at college and can’t be here.
As you may have noticed from the right sidebar, I’ve signed up for two months’ worth of blog projects and challenges, with a focus on improving the “visual appeal” of my posts and networking more with other bloggers who are focused on writing, hobbies, art, lifestyle – not business, MMO, MLM, and, well, metablogging. No, my old friends who do blog on those topics, I’m not abandoning you altogether – I’m just focusing on my own niche: The No-Niche Niche.
And here are a few other activities for you all to enjoy on my birthday:
- National Anthem Day – someone, somewhere, please sing it clearly and without embellishment, as the solemn, yet stirring work that it is meant to be!
- National Pancake Day – IHOP – tempting as it is, I’m going to sit this one out. But have a Harvest Grain & Nut stack for me!
- National I Want You to be Happy Day – I want you to be happy every day, but especially on my birthday!
- National Cold Cuts Day – really? Does bacon count? If I cook it and then stick it back in the fridge?
- National Mulled Wine Day – what is that, even? This may be the most promising of the bunch…
March 4 is “National Grammar Day.” I call that a “belated birthday present.” I might even share that one with you all – I suppose that means it’s also “Bring Your Sharpie to Work Day”? 🙂
Latest posts by HollyJahangiri (see all)
- OPQRSTUVWXYZ and DONE - April 30, 2017
- New Blog Smell? 2013 Called, Wanted Its Theme Back - April 30, 2017
- Men Dribbling into Their Beards - April 15, 2017