Play word games. I am taking part in The Write Tribe Festival of Words 1st – 7th September 2013, and this post was inspired by two things: my inability to think of anything to write about on the theme of “seven” and a Facebook request in Disney’s Words of Wonder.
- Do a crossword puzzle.
- Skim the dictionary, learn five new words, and use each of them in a sentence.
- Write a sonnet.
Create art. Use whatever you have on hand.
- Using paper, glue, and seeds, nut shells, and spices, make a picture.
- With nothing but water, flour, old newspapers, and a balloon (or some aluminum foil you’ve molded into a shape), try your hand at papier mache.
- Draw something.
Communicate Creatively. Keep a journal, start a blog.
- Decorate a plain white envelope and mail it to a friend.
- Take a picture with your cell phone’s camera. Using any free photo editing app, add some cool effects. Share it.
- Write a note about a happy childhood memory. Mail it to whoever lives at that address now.
Get hooked on a TV series, but watch it online – in bed. Here are a few addictive ones to get you started (all are available, mostly for free, through Amazon Prime and Amazon Instant Streaming Video):
- Downton Abbey.
- The Tudors.
- The Borgias.
Read. Okay, by now, you’ve caught on, surely – none of these things are a “waste” of time!
Cook something fun. That’s right – fun. Fun and frivolous and it doesn’t matter if it turns out edible or not. The point is to try something new. I made caramels, the other day; they never really set, and these tiny little bugs came out of nowhere and ate them before I had a chance to try one! But now I think I know how to make them. The bugs are still a problem – they’ve not been seen before or since! So I’m a little wary of making caramels, now…
Go outside and lay in the grass. Look up. What do you see?
- Do you see shapes in the clouds?
- Can you identify the constellations? (Use an app and your cell phone if you need help!)
- If you lay very still and watch long enough, you may spot a satellite. Try it.
- Make a wish. Shooting star or no.
Latest posts by HollyJahangiri (see all)
- A Brand New Blog with a Fresh Perspective! - September 15, 2017
- If We Were Having Coffee, I’d Tell You to #WriteBravely… - August 12, 2017
- A Taste of Home for the Next Generation (Interview with Sapna Anu George) - August 9, 2017