Today’s lunch was a bit of a gamble, though, since about the only ingredients I had on hand were the lasagna noodles and a tub of ricotta. I didn’t feel like rushing out to the grocery store before lunch, either. I peered into the fridge and found the ricotta; some raw, baby spinach; an abundance of fresh basil; and about a tablespoon of Kraft grated parmesan cheese. In the pantry, next to the lasagna noodles, I had an unopened jar of Classico Tomato Basil pasta sauce.
This might have been better with some shredded Italian cheeses or mozzarella, but it’s a fairly forgiving process. I nixed the idea of grating sharp chedder or jalapeño jack over the top, and hoped that the ricotta and Parmesan would be enough. As it turned out, it was – and even my son, who probably wouldn’t touch the mushroom-kale roll-ups on a dare, liked it.
Easy Tomato Basil Spinach Lasagna Roll-ups
- Boil lasagna noodles per package directions.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Pour about half of a jar of pasta sauce in the bottom of a Pyrex baking pan and spread it around to coat.
- Chop spinach and basil together.
- Mix spinach and basil with 15 oz. ricotta.
- Season mixture with oregano, thyme, or other herbs to taste.
- Remove noodles from boiling water, and carefully lay flat on baking parchment or foil.
- Spread an even amount of ricotta-spinach-basil mixture on top of each noodle to cover the entire length.
- Drizzle a stripe of pasta sauce down the length of each noodle.
- Gently roll each noodle, lifting as you roll – there’s no need to roll it up tightly.
- Carefully lift each lasagna roll and place it in the baking pan atop the pasta sauce.
- Spoon sauce over lasagna rolls and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Cover the pan with aluminum foil, and bake at 375F for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven, lift off foil, and let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Latest posts by HollyJahangiri (see all)
- A Brand New Blog with a Fresh Perspective! - September 15, 2017
- If We Were Having Coffee, I’d Tell You to #WriteBravely… - August 12, 2017
- A Taste of Home for the Next Generation (Interview with Sapna Anu George) - August 9, 2017